Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:39:45 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bugs in 3.1-release install

I've done around 100 full installs of various FreeBSD releases
from the Walnut Creek CDs to a bunch of test machines.  Each of
those installs (2.2.6, 2.2.7, mostly 2.2.8) has gone from start
to finish without any kind of problem.  But I've had plenty of
problems with the 3.1 CDs (I have never touched 3.0 in any
form).

I cannot provide a repeatable complete path to the issues that I
list below, partly because the behaviour is not repeatable in
any simple way and partly because the only way I think I can
repeat it involves hours of time wasting and writing things down
and I just don't have the time to do that.

If I boot from the CD, choose custom install (as I always have
done previously), follow the normal sequence of the menus,
choose new partitions on the disk, select everything (except the
kerberos stuff), and finally move to the media menu, I get told
there is no CDROM, despite the fact that I booted from it and
everything I have done to this point comes from the CD.  On one
of my attempts at this, I managed to go back to the novice
install (which I've never used before), select a minimal install
with X11, avoid the media menu, and it went ahead and did the
install -- but it left out the X stuff.

So, not wanting to repeat the entire exercise, I thought I'd
have another crack at that with /stand/sysinstall since it was
the 3.1 version, having been loaded from the CD.  I did the
obvious things, but was again stymied by a message about no
CDROM detected.  This was not quite as irritating, given that I
had not actually used the CD to get to this point, but it was
still a pretty stupid message.  I found no way around this, even
though I could easily mount the CD and access it.

Then I tried to repeat a full install, from the already running
/stand/sysinstall.  I noted that certain menus had slight
differences (e.g., one of the disk setup menus -- probably the
partition table one -- presented a `Q' option when I booted from
the CD, but this was missing when I ran /stand/sysinstall), but
I found no way at all of selecting some set of operations that
would allow me to select my CDROM from the media menu.

So I began another full install, after booting from the CD.
This time, I went to the media menu first (just to save me from
going through a million other menus only to be told that I
couldn't proceed).  It was quite happy to select the CDROM when
I did that as my first operation, and then the rest of the
install (the full install of everything but the kerberos stuff)
went as I thought it should have.

I then tried another full install, booting from the CD and
proceeding through the menus in the indicated order.  Again, I
was unable to select my CDROM.  So I rebooted from the CD yet
again, selected the media menu first, selected the CDROM, and
completed another full install.  That's what I have running now
and I'm in the process of learning the new rc file stuff and
incorporating all my customization for 2.2.8 into my 3.1 box.  I
have no idea how much of the new system actually works, but I'll
find out a bit more over the next few days.

At any rate, until this bug is fixed, it might be helpful to
novice installers if the instructions mentioned the possibility
that it might be wise to select the CDROM media before doing all
the other stuff.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>