Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:17:43 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

At 10:24 AM 4/21/99 -0500, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 08:49:49PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
>> >Then you obviously agree with Jordan: They should either go for Windows
>> >or for FreeBSD, depending on their needs.
>>
>> They should go for ANYTHING that serves their needs. The object, however,
>> should be to make FreeBSD serve their needs in the majority of cases.
>
>In other words, it has nothing to do with PR and evangelization.

Not so. People need to KNOW and BELIEVE that a product serves their needs,
or it is immaterial whether it does or does not do so; it will not become
popular nor will it be given the opportunity to do them good.

>As for the object, from my limited perspective of having used FreeBSD for
>less than half a year, it appears that "should be" actually should be "is."

If you believe that, then you would not approve of the strategy embraced
by Jordan. Jordan is attempting to position FreeBSD exclusively as
a server operating system, and is actively steering developers toward
another platform: Linux. These are losing and damaging strategies.
The engineer, who has assumed the role of captain without the experience
or worldview required for this very different position, is aiming the
ship right for the rocks. Many previous ships have crashed on those rocks
before.

>I have a suggestion for you: You are good at explaining things. You also
>appear to genuinely want FreeBSD to succeed. Why not write some good
>documentation for people who are new to Unix and *BSD. Not to replace
>current documentation. To complement it, heck, even to compete with it.

This might be an interesting project. However, it will be in vain unless
FreeBSD acquires what is needed for its survival. OS/2 was a good OS,
also, and had some very good books written about it by authors I know.
I wrote quite a few magazine articles about it -- good ones, I thought.
It died (yes, I know that a very few people still do use it) nonetheless
because of (among other things) poor marketing to end users, developers, and
hardware vendors -- maladaptive memes.

>Do that, and you may even end up in FreeBSD Hall of Fame.

I have no interest in being in a "Hall of Fame." I would like to obtain, and
be able to use, a robust, technically sound, VERY POPULAR operating system
which is not encumbered by the GPL or doomed by the factors mentioned above.

--Brett Glass