Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 1995 09:05:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      SACBBX <rdugaue@netcom.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   passwds across BSD machines

I have a small BSD network of 3 machines. I'd rather not run NIS for now.
I thought I could get by by syncing master.passwd files on each machine
and rebuilding the database. However, it seems that the passwd encryption
differs on each BSD machine as Pws don't work on the machines I export
the master.passwd file too. Is this true or is something screwy? They are
all running the same version of BSD.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.