Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:18:00 -0700
From:      "Mark D. Anderson" <mda@discerning.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: device timeout with any card

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> says:
> This sounds like the classic "I didn't use the right IRQ for my pccard
> function interrupt."  You will have to find one that works.

i actually did that search before to no avail. the patch fixed it though.

it'd be helpful i think to have a generic troubleshooting guide.
seems like there a variety of standard causes (irq conflict, no entry in pccard.conf,
device driver bug, incorrect pcmem setting, wrong driver or setting in kernel config, etc.),
and a variety of standard tests: does dumpcis work, is power provided and what lights are on,
are insert/removal detected, does dmesg|grep irq show anything bad,
does it detect the card name at boot, get "device timeout", get "driver allocation failed",
get "Resource allocation failure", get "buffer allocation failed".

then there are other "tricks" too, like checking what windows assigns to the device,
switching to "polling" mode, etc.

-mda