Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:01:06 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@lucky.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des@des.no>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: complicated downgrade

 Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 23:40:05, des wrote about "Re: complicated downgrade":

>> I need to downgrade a remote FreeBSD system from 5.1-release to 4.8-release
>> remotely without any local help (except possible hitting Reset).
> Maybe if you tell us why you need to do this we can figure out a way
> for you to avoid doing it?

System periodically hangs up. Average uptime is ~6 hours. No crash info
is available. No serial console is available. Different invariants didn't
help, AFAIK (this testing was done by another admin, so I'm not 100% sure).
4.8 in any case is considered more stable, so switching can exclude
some software problems or software-caused triggerings of hardware problems.

Just now question isn't so important because it was decided to move to another
box (including more friendly environment), so my question is more theoretical
than practical. But, there is opportunity to play with configs, so I'll try
again to play with invariants, witnesses, etc.

Thanks to all for help.

-netch-