Date:      Sat, 10 May 2003 17:59:15 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Down the MPD road

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 10:22:40AM -0400, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2003 09:17, Michael Collette wrote:
> > Well, after working through the various options it looked like MPD woul=
d be
> > my best bet here.  I've got it sort of working, but there's obviously s=
ome
> > tweaky I'm missing here.
> >
> > Recap of the scenario:
> >   Full class C of static IPs segmented into 3 networks.  Outside, DMZ,
> > Inside. Trying to get remote Windows users through securely to the Insi=
de.
> > Remote users have dynamic IPs.
> >
> > What's working:
> >   MPD is running, and authenticating my test XP box via PPTP.  No
> > certificates or any IPSec involved here.
> >   I can hit boxes on the Inside really solid now.
> >
> > The probs:
> >   Apparently PPTP actually puts the remote machine IN the target networ=
k.
> > Sorry, I'm still pretty green on this PPTP stuff.  Works a good bit
> > different than IPSec.  Anyhow, once the remote box is connected all the
> > connections to the rest of the Internet are now coming from behind the
> > firewall.  That'd be cool if it worked reliably.
> >   While connected, when I attempt to browse around the public Internet =
some
> > pages just don't load, where others do.  No rhyme or reason, and nothing
> > showing up in my logging of all denied packets via ipfw.  For example, I
> > can hit CNN without a problem, then when I try news.google it never loa=
ds a
> > page. I can hit the main Yahoo page, but any of their other sites won't=
 go.
> >  Really odd.
>=20
>     Here is where we descend into Windows-bashing.  For some STUPID
> reason, when a Windows box connects to a VPN via PPTP, the Windows
> box's default route is adjusted to go through the VPN connection.
> This is fortunately fixable (Windows has a ROUTE command), but it
> requires your users to have half a clue:
>=20
>     route delete 0.0.0.0
>     route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 gateway <ISP gateway> metric 1
>     route add [InsideNetwork] mask [InsideMask] gateway [far end of VPN=
=20
> tunnel] metric 1

I cannot test this right now, so it is quite probable that you are
right, but couldn't this be controlled by the Properties >> Networking
 >> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) >> Properties >> Advanced >> General >>
 >> Use default gateway on remote network?

Granted, that's a hell of a place to bury a little checkbox, but could
this possibly help? :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@sbnd.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
This sentence claims to be an Epimenides paradox, but it is lying.

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj

--kORqDWCi7qDJ0mEj--