Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:58:03 +0000
From:      Daniel Holliman <danh@jihad.to>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Daniel Holliman <danh@jihad.to>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing postgresql in freebsd 4.2

> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/databases/postgresql7/work/postgresql-7.0.3/src/interfaces/jdbc'
> /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin/javac org/postgresql/DriverClass.java
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libxpg4.so.2" not found
>
> This pretty much zeros in on the problem. It looks like your jdk port
> was built on FreeBSD 3.x and you didn't install the 3.x compatibility
> libraries on your 4.2 system. Check it by doing running ldd on your
> javac binary, and verifying that it shows libxpg4.so.2 as not found
> (probably some others as well). If that's the case, you can fix it be
> rebuilding and reinstalling the jdk port on a 4.2 system, or by
> installing the 3.x compatibility libraries.
>
> As an aside, I would *seriously* recommend rebuilding all the ports
> when you upgrade across a version number. Even if you install the
> compatability libraries some things are liable to break (nuts, they
> can break between releases, much less versions..).

this system is a brand spanking new 4.2 system, recently cvsuped
and current /usr/ports.

the relevant ports (i think):

phoenix$ pkg_info | grep -i java
javavmwrapper-1.1   Wrapper script for various Java Virtual Machines
jdk-1.1.8           Sun's Java Developers Kit
phoenix$ pkg_info | grep -i linux
linux_base-6.1      The base set of packages needed in Linux mode
phoenix$

i didn't install any linux binaries, i didn't install any
the linux java port, that's why I'm so confused.
anyway I will try to your ldconfig suggestions.