Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:49:03 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A little failing

Odhiambo Washington schrieb:

> Hi people,
> Some years back I read in my literature class a situation that can be
> termed a 'little failing' - not a total failure but in actual sense it is
> a real failure.
> Now I am back, with a failure after margemaster. I always try my best to
> let mergemaster be verbose but even with all that noise I seem to miss
> something and that is what I beg to ask the gurus about.
>
> o If I tell mergemaster to merge the 2 files (installed one and the temp
>   one), what is the aggregate effect as far as mu customizations in the
>  installed version are concerned?

By typing "m", you tell mergemaster both files need to be merged. YOU
have to merge the files manually.

> o When I take a look at the diffs and feel that I just don't want to
>   install the file in the temporary dir I'd chose 'm' and I'd be
>   dropped to a % : What am I supposed to do at that prompt?

when you type "m", mergemaster drops you into sdiff with both files
displayed side-by-side. Each difference is displayed one by one. You may
choose "l" to put the left side into the merged file, "r" for the right
side, "e" to edit manually using your $EDITOR. After all differences
have been shown, you may either [i]nstall the just merged file or leave
it for manual massages at a later time.

> o Would it be okay for me to just install everything from the temp dir
>   (aka mergemaster 'blindmode' then start painfully modifying the files to
>   put back my customizations while still in single user mode? It sure
>   wastes productive time but seems to be the soundest way if someone does
>   not tell me a better way.

This can be dangerous: for sure, /etc/passwd would not contain the users
already on your system.

> I just did a mergemaster and ended up seeing an error like:
>
> source_rc_confs : not found
>
> The box would read my rc.conf and probably many other rc.*
> Which file results into this situation?
>
> What is the better option for mergemaster - the monster of all UPDATES (to
> me, that is) ;-)

The best option -as always- is to know your tools. I admit it needs a
while to get used to, but mergemaster is worth the trouble.

HTH
-Christoph Sold