Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:12:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      george vagner <kf7nn@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   simple tech modem (pcmcia) help

I never used the pccard stuff before but now
i have a brandy new laptop and need to figure
out how to configure it correctly.

i have a simpletech pcmcia card  installed because
the internal modem is detected as follows
and a minicom connection to it freezes the machine
totally.

sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 8250

the laptop is a Toshiba 2805.

the pccard stuff detects my modem card as bieng on
sio4 but cuaa4 and sio4 dont exist in /dev so i
tried to create new one in the kernel but the
kernel make failed with sio4 not declared.

maybe i need to use a different device to connect to
but i dont know where to go from here.

where can i get info on how to figure this out.

I was able to get X going at 1024x768 with this
savage IX/MX card, it only took me a week...

I really would like to use the internal modem
since it seems to detect something is there
but i am afraid it might be a winmodem
variant of some sort.