Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 2009 21:40:34 +0300
From:      Mikolaj Golub <to.my.trociny@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   crashtar

Hi,

http://trociny.googlecode.com/files/crashtar

This simple script is useful for me and might be useful for other people
too. The script creates tar archive that contains all files needed for
debugging FreeBSD kernel crash (vmcore, kernel, loaded modules, sources that
appear in backtrace). This is useful e.g. for debugging a crash on another
host, sending it to developers or if you are going to upgrade the kernel on
crashed host but would like to keep crashdump in case the developers ask you
to provide additional info.

Created tar contains also a script that when being run inside unpacked archive
will give kgdb(1) session with crash core loaded in it. The script should be
run with root privileges because it does chroot(8) before starting kgdb(1).

I think I don't have to warn here that a crashdump may be sent only to person
you trust :-).

--
Mikolaj Golub