Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 99 15:49:28 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@graphics.cornell.edu>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        "Michael P. Neuman" <neubyneu@twcny.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS SubDomains

>On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Michael P. Neuman wrote:
>>     I am running 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD.  I have DNS working properly for our L
>AN so far.  I haven't recieved a clear response on how to set up a Sub-Domain
>with it.  For example:  I have the domain foobar.com.  Within it are 100 compu
>ters.  I also have an
>
>other "segment" with 140 computers.  I would like to assign that part to the d
>omain sub.foobar.com.  I know how to do it by having the DNS records all on th
>e foobar.com server.  I need to have records for foobar.com on one machine and
> sub.foobar.com on th
>
>e other.  Exactly how would I do this??  Is there a site the describes how??
>Thank you in advance!
>
>You should fix your mail client's (non) line breaking behaviour.
>
>I could have sworn I saw the answer go by a few days ago
>
>sub	IN	NS	ns.sub.foobar.com.
>
>Then setup ns.sub.foobar.com with named that is primary/master for
>sub.foobar.com
>
>There's no magic about the number of dots in a zone.  Someone elses
>suggestion to get the Cricket book is a good idea too :)

While technically accurate, the above is poor engineering practice
and the cause of numerous internet "outages".  You need to have
multiple DNS servers for each zone, ideally topologically separate
so your zone doesn't fail to resolve when the single server is down
or unreachable.

Get the O'Reilly "DNS and BIND" book.  And read it.

-Mitch