Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:58:17 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best Recommended Practice for Starting Daemons During Boot

	I have installed the ISC dhcp server on a FreeBSD system
and it appears to work so I am trying to get the startup command
included in the boot procedures.

	I followed the same pattern in rc.conf as is used by
named and ntpd but nothing happened.  The documentation says that
rc.conf is not meant to start the daemons but supplies values to
the variables used in other scripts like rc.network.  I also saw
a reference to rc.d and the system kindly creates a rc.d
directory in /usr/local/etc.

	What is the most elegant way to start a daemon that has
been added after system installation?

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group