Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:20:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        gh <grasshacker@linkfast.net>
Cc:        Troy Settle <troy@picus.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles fortunes)

On Thursday,  1 June 2000 at 15:14:08 -0500, gh wrote:

>> Ok...
>>
>> I was just summarizing what others were saying and tossing in my own .02.
>>
>> Greg said one space.  Someone else from AU said 2.
>>
>> Yet another person indicated that his British friends said 2.
>>
>> I know 2 from my own typing class back in '84.
>
> I believe (not to justify it) that the main argument is that manual
> typesetting and typewriting are antiquated and as such using a
> two-space convention is no longer necessary.

If you look at professionally typeset documents such as books and
newspapers, you'll notice more space at the end of sentences than
between individual words in US American texts.  In French and German
texts there is generally less space, and there is no more space at the
end of sentences than between individual words.  In British texts I've
seen both cases, but there's reason to believe that more traditional
texts use less space at the end of sentences.  I had always thought
that the typing rules attempted to follow this practice.

Greg