Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:23:03 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@www.svzserv.kemerovo.su>
To:        Kirk Davis <kirk@bohica.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: porting OpenSSH to 2.2.8

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 02:56:24PM -0700, Kirk Davis wrote:

> 	I have a number of older FreeBSD boxes (running 2.2.8-STABLE) and
> I am not able to upgrade beyond 2.2.8 due to some custom software.
> 	Has anyone managed to get a newer version of OpenSSH running on
> a 2.2.8 box?  I'm not a C programer but I have ported some programs in
> the past.  I'm not having a lot of luck and was hoping that someone out
> there had already invented the wheel.

I had installed OpenSSH to 2.2.5 a couple of months ago.
All that you need is:

1. Only if you do not have perl5 installed.
   Take distfile and patches from current ports tree for perl5.
   You can build and install it manually with no problems.
2. Take distfile and patches from current ports tree for openssl.
   You can build and install it manually with no problems, too.
3. The same with openssh-portable from ports.

Eugene Grosbein