Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:54:36 -0700
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Tim Liddelow <tim@ideasandassociates.com>
Cc:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Contributing...

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 06:38:29PM -0400, Tim Liddelow wrote:
> powers (great VM system, etc) in a Java environment.  I can also leverage some
> work I am doing here in the commercial sector without encumbrance because the
> result will be utilised by us in production environments (this is probably
> similar to some others here I hope!).

Just curious, and you can reply privately about this... What kind of work have
you done ? ;-)

> I have been lightly following the pthread updates; I know a lot of fixes were
> committed a few months back - how complete now is our pthread support ?   I
> agree with you that native thread support must be done first ... I was hoping
> however to familiarise myself again with the byte code compiler, then take a
> look at HotSpot and being to dissect it - but only initially from the point of
> view of kernel differences between FreeBSD and Linux.

Try the side effect ridden make system for starters. ;)

I'm trying to build it now with native threading enable to see what blows up.

yeah, libhpi.so during the green threads build is complaining now not having a
whole bunch of pthreads symbols not linked correctly to it. This is silly since
it doesn't use pthreads. The logic for this needs to be found and then fixed.

Oh boy, I just now realizing how much of the work I did since April is missing
in the current tree. :-\  Let's see if I can fix that over the next few days. ;-)

> Sure.  But we have to start somewhere.  I don't promise to be able to make
> everything happen - but if we begin, maybe we will gather more interest and
> hopefully get some momentum going.  Usually things don't get done in this
> space not because of experienced people (to a point!), but usually because of
> motivational and coordinational factors.  Can we get any help from anyone at
> Sun who did the Linux port of HotSpot ?   Nate ?

Yea, we've got some developer support from the Blackdown folks that we haven't
exploited yet. We seem to be doing pretty well on our own for the moment and
I'm sure we're going to have to talk to them when we do TCK certification.

JIT compiler, Motif, pthreads internals is within our group's scope and shouldn't
be serious blockage.

> Cheers
> Tim.

bill