Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:43:12 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can the following license be used for ported programs?

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 05:10:53PM +0000, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> My company develops software under a commercial "open source" (see
> links for details) and I want to know if my license is close enough to
> open source (see links for why it is not 100% OSD compliant [it is 95%
> compliant]).   Specifically does the business model as outlined in my
> blog (the third installment should be out later today), my business
> model page, the third party certifier and license allow for inclusion
> in the ports collection.   Keep in mind that the source is available
> to anyone but execution is conditioned on attachment A of the license
> and after the trial period  (30 days) is paid for software.
>
> License: http://www.flosoft-systems.com/license.php
> Official statement of my business model:
> http://www.flosoft-systems.com/bmodel.php
> Blog entries:
>     http://www.flosoft-systems.com/blogs/aryeh/FOSS.php
>     http://www.flosoft-systems.com/blogs/aryeh/SIW_Background.php
> Third party group (due to DNS issues is currently hosted on my domain
> but is not officially associated with my company):
> http://www.flosoft-systems.com/miai/

For inclusion in the ports tree it really does not matter much what license
you use for your software - it could even be a commercial closed-source
program.  The reason for this is that the ports tree is just a framework for
installing and managing software packages, and none of your code will
actually live in the ports tree.

If you have various restrictions in the license then it may not be possible
for the FreeBSD project to distribute binary packages or source files.
If that is the case the port creator should set RESTRICTED or other
appropriate variable in the port Makefile to enforce this (see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/porting-restrictions.html
for what variations are possible.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>