Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 05:32:36 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@uol.com.br>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make.conf lack of CPUTYPE=k6-3 support

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > > On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 12:29:58AM -0300, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wr=
> > > ote:
> > >
> > > Looks fine to me. I'll commit it.
> >
> > I see no reason for it. k6-3 is essentially k6-2 core with extra cache on
> > chip. Threre are no other significant differencies in the features or
> > instruction set.
>
> Not even to mention that there is such a beast as k6-2+....
>
> I would suggest to rename k6-2 into k6/3dnow (similarly to what we have for
> i586/mmx) and put a note saying that k6/3dnow should be used for k6-2/k6-2+/k6-3.

k6-2 is already over-engineered.  The only difference between it and k6
is 3dnow, but neither gcc nor any source files support 3dnow (now :-).
OTOH, bsd.cpu.mk is too under-engineered to support any compiler except
gcc.  It unconditionally translates FreeBSD-specific names like k6-2 to
gcc-specific flags like -march=k6.

Bruce