Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 01:35:14 -0500
From:      "Sean Lyndersay" <lynders@hcs.harvard.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Slow network performance on 3com 3c509

Hi,

I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 from the Walnut Creek CD set, with no major
problems. However, when attempt to use any network functions (telnet, for
instance), my performance is very very slow, comparable, or worse than a
modem. I have a 3Com 3c509 ISA card which has worked fine in Windows 3.x,
Windows 95, NT, OS/2 and Linux. I found a reference to poor performance in
the newsgroup archives but it refered to "buggy" drivers in the 2.1.x
distribution. Are the drivers still buggy, or is there something I can do
(short of buying a new card, as suggested in some recent posts in the
newsgroup). I don't appear to be getting buffer overruns or any  similar
thing. Thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,
Sean

PS. If you could please CC: back to me, that would be appreciated. I'm not
currently on the mailing list. thanks.