Date:      29 Mar 2001 13:29:39 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        rsafir@about-inc.com
Cc:        e96sv@efd.lth.se, Paul Andrews <andrews@powersurfr.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: djbdns

Ruben Safir <rsafir@about-inc.com> writes:

> Gee it automatically used up so much hard drive space to would overrun the
> partition by automatically salving everything it could.

I haven't had any problems like this: I've found it's disk and memory
consumption quite low.

> It also had HUGE problems with RSYNC.

Been a while since I used rsync (over ssh).  I'm slaving a couple
zones for people I secondary for; they're still running BIND so I
can't use rsync for them. I found Russ Nelson's "axfr" tool to
be *very* helpful and easy to use for this.

> Are you a DJB Co-religionist?

No: I find his code painful to read, but the software does work very
well in my experience. Most users don't need to look at his code any
more than they have to look at BIND's code.

> Please take further discussion of this to the Bind Mailing list....

The original query asked for help, and I'm trying to provide it.  From
what I've seen on the BIND and DJBDNS lists, your negative experience
with DJBDNS is not typical.

> ROFL Too bad qmail doesn't support that! [split dns]

Huh? qmail's simply an MTA and will use which ever resolver your
/etc/resolv.conf points at.  I fail to see how this is relevant and
don't understand what it is that you refer to when you say "doesn't
support that".

I have a NATed network using RFC1918 addresses.  My qmail uses the
local view provided by tinydns, via dnscache on 127.0.0.1; external
clients get the external view of the public hosts when they query my
domain on it's (NATed) interface address, for mail or anything
else. Works very well for me.