Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 09:43:32 +0800 (KRSS)
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@vas.tsu.tomsk.su>
To:        vas@vas.tsu.tomsk.su (Victor Sudakov)
Cc:        rostewa2@vt.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem playing MPEG files

Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Brandon Stewart wrote:
> > Victor Sudakov wrote:

> > > I have now tried both splay and amp. The result is weird: I can hear some
> > > very frightening noise from the speakers, which slightly resembles the songs
> > > I am trying to play. In fact, I can even guess what song is being played.
> >
> > Are you using a sound blaster compatible card? I have had the exact same
>
> Yes, I am.
>
> > results for sound blaster cards on two different computers. I do not
> > know the answers, so I'll through it the rest of the list.
> >
> > Does anyone here know the reason why sound quality on sb compatible
> > cards is so horrid?
>
> And besides, does anyone know why the sound quality on the same card and on
> the same mp3 file is quite good when the card is used under Windows or OS/2
> on the same computer?
>

> > The only suggestion I can offer is to try luigi's sound driver, which
>
> Where do I obtain it? I am running FreeBSD 2.2.2
>
> > should be discussed in LINT. Its a device or controller pcm, I believe.
> >
> > Another thing I have to say is that even though sound is horrid when
> > playing wave or mp3 files, sound should not be so bad if your sound card
> > is connected to the cd-rom and you use a utility (such as xcd) to play
> > cds.
>
> Sure, not even CDs, but timidity, xanim, 'cat file.au > /dev/audio' work
> very well and the quality is good. Only mp3 files cannot be played.

I have found the solution to the problem, and I think I should share it with
everyone here.

I  installed a new version of mpg123 (Version 0.59o (1998/Feb/08) and it now
plays MPEGs quite well.

So the problem turned out to be that of the player.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

--
Victor Sudakov
mailto:vas@obluo.tomsk.su