Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:04:59 +0200
From:      "Dennis Melentyev" <dennis.melentyev@gmail.com>
To:        "Stefano Spinucci" <virgo977virgo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation problems of FreeBSD 7 beta 2 on Dell D610 (multiboot con solaris, linux, winxp)

HI Stefano!
2007/11/27, Stefano Spinucci <virgo977virgo@gmail.com>:
> On 11/27/07, Dennis Melentyev <dennis.melentyev@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > 2007/11/27, Stefano Spinucci <virgo977virgo@gmail.com>:
> > > I encountered some problems installing FreeBSD 7 beta 2 on my Dell
> > > D610 laptop, on the original 60 gb hd; the hd is formatted as follows:
> > > - primary 1, 15 gb, ntfs for Windows XP
> > > - primary 2, 15 gb, solaris for Open Solaris
> > > - primary 3, 10 gb, fat32 for FreeBSD
> > > - extended, 20 gb, 3 partitions for linux
> > >
> > > I tried to install FreeBSD many times, but after the geometry error
> > > (the geometry is however correctly recognized), FDISK doesn't find any
> > > partition and the space is shown as free, unpartitioned.
> > >
> > > I tried to set the partition type for FreeBSD to FAT16, FAT32, FreeBSD
> > > and I also reformatted the partition many times, but with no success.
> > >
> > > have you any idea???
> >
> > Are you kidding?
> > If no, just read the handbook. And check the partition type for
> > FreeBSD. FAT[13][26] is for MustDie.
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Melentyev
>
> I'm not kidding.
>
> I read the handbook before installing, before writing this emai and
> now and, correct me if I'm wrong, FDISK should recognize existent primary
> partitions; then, *inside* FDISK, I can format the primary partiton (for me #3)
> for FreeBSD.

Well, one of us are just using different terminology then.

0. FAT* is not a right filesystem type for FreeBSD. It must be UFS/UFS2
1. Geometry is what you BIOS think what should it be. Not the numbers
on device label.
2. Sysinstall is NOT fdisk. It has some functionality though.

So, find out what geometry is used by BIOS for you disk and supply it
before any access to slices.

PS. There are some reports on local mailing lists about problems with
sysinstall's fdisk. Try just real fdisk, disklabel and newfs instead
(man fdisk disklabel newfs for details).
PPS. Nevertheless, handbook and man pages are a mandatory for all this issues.

> from section 2.6.2 of the Hankbook
> "The second section [of FDISK] shows the slices that are currently on
> the disk, where they start and end, how large they are, the name
> FreeBSD gives them, and their description and sub-type."
>
> Then I repeat my question:
> why FDISK shows my disk (with 3 primary partitions and an extended partition)
> as a single block of unused space ???

Well, this is much more clean problem description. Fix your geometry.
Also, if disks are not ATA/SATA, state this.

> If you have some useful ideas (and not, RTFManual/MailingList is not an useful
> idea) please reply me.
/me disagree here

--
Dennis Melentyev