Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:25:44 +1200
From:      "Craig Harding" <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Another Successful Installation of FreeBSD

Jordan was just mentioning that people only notice when something
goes wrong. So while I'm just completing the successful install of
another brand new FreeBSD server for us, I thought I'd mention how
superbly straightforward the installation procedure is.

Unlike some here I don't have a room full of FreeBSD servers dating
back 6 years, but I've had a single machine (which started FreeBSD
life as a 386DX40 and is currently a P75) running FreeBSD since
2.0.5, and it's been uniformly a hassle-free existence.

It's began life as a dialup UUCP server running INN in a very small
way, for the last 16 months it's been my company's dialup PPP gateway
and mail server, and now with (at last!) the imminent connection of a
real Internet link I'm getting a couple more machines (nothing flash,
one P166 and a 486DX4 100) to spread the load around so we can do a
little web hosting for a few clients.

As you can see, I don't do many installs, I subscribe to the CDs and
typically install one version in three. But whenever I do, I'm always
impressed by the ease of use of the install program. It just works,
with a minimum of strife, and just enough prompting to remind me of
the few tricky details I've forgotten since the last time.

My hat is off to everyone involved. With FreeBSD I can run a lowcost
fileserver for the office Macs and PCs, spend as little time as
possible in maintenance/admin, and it just works.

						-- C.
--
Craig Harding         Head of Postproduction, Outpost Digital Media Ltd
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly