Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:28:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        mike@adept.org (Mike Hoskins)
Cc:        stephen@math.missouri.edu (Stephen Montgomery-Smith), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with natd and simple firewall

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>
> > We could add another option to natd that would disallow
> > any outgoing packets sent to an unregistered ip address,
> > and disallow any incoming packets from or to an unregistered
> > ip address.  Call it -antispoof.
>
> If it makes it easier for everyone (and I don't see how it wouldn't), I'll
> cast my vote for -antispoof.

And I'll cast my vote against -antispoof for the following reasons.

a)  The non-problem it attempts to solve can be handled by a correct
    ipfw rule set.

b)  These are RFC1918 addresses and have little to nothing to do with
    spoofing.  RFC1918 != spoof.  Spoofing occurs when using ligitmate
    globally routed IP addresses, usually the attack targets address as a
    source address in a packet.  The flag should be -antirfc1918.

c)  It also totally ignores the fact that the problematic IP addresses
    are much more than RFC1918 and include the following:
	0.0.0.0/8, 127.0.0.0/8, 192.0.2.0/24, 169.254.0.0/16, 240.0.0.0/4
    that need to be dealt with properly and carefully at both interfaces
    in a firewall.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net