Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:25:34 +0000
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Peter Brevik <pb@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DMA boosted PPP via parallell port ..?

Here is a 2 month old message about it...

Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru> wrote:
>Does PPP over LPT utilize byte-oriented exchange with FIFO, possible with
>parralel port in EPP mode?
Definitely no in -stable.  It uses nybble mode transfers with a
laplink-style cable.  I'm not sure if anyone has implemented it
in the ppbus device in -current (last time I brought up the subject
in -hackers, no-one seemed to be working on it).

The major problem with byte-wide transfers is that the port becomes
half-duplex (it can't simultaneously read and write).  This means that
you need to add appropriate hand-shaking to resolve (or prevent)
contention.  This probably means a changing the driver to master-
slave.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited

On Mon, Nov 23, 1998 at 04:35:07PM +0100, Peter Brevik wrote:

>Would be a good idea to implement the "LapLink" PPP as a ECP mode DMA driven
>PPP ..?

Of course!

>I think advantages would be definitly both speed and less cpu load.

Yes, but developper load would increase considerably ;)

>Have a ECP specification at:
>  http://wave.campus.luth.se/~pb/comp/standards/ecpmode.htm

When do you start ;)

>When I use PPP via Laplink as it now. The computer is not particular useful
>when transfer is in progress.. ;(

This is also due to the spl level of the plip driver which is splhigh().
Moreover, the driver polls the port :)

--
nsouch@teaser.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org