Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:25:49 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vicious monitor?

I had a server that crashed occasionally, then lost its power supply
fan and went into meltdown. Aha! I said, as I replaced the whole box,
keeping only the monitor and mouse.

The replacement server has crashed a couple of times, and each time the
monitor's screen is black until I turn it off and on, then it works
fine again. (BTW, I use one of the text based screen savers, not a
blanking one.) Hmm, that happened a few times with the old server too.

The first time the newer 4.4R machine crashed, I could not connect to
the server at all and the monitor was just blank so I couldn't see what
had been going on in there, and I had to reboot it. There was
absolutely nothing in the logs, between the last cron job and the
reboot.

When it crashed today, the machine rebooted by itself, came up fine and
dropped a crash dump, but the monitor wouldn't display until I turned it
off and on again. Now it's fine, but I'm keeping the monitor turned off :-)
The logs show nothing between the earlier normal entries and the reboot.
gdb spits out ASCII soup which includes:

Does this sound like problems that the monitor could be causing?
How could I tell? Would the crash dump be very useful,
if I knew what to type between 'where' and 'quit'?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-