Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:25:20 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Nicole Harrington <nmh@daemontech.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

At 03:43 PM 4/10/01 -0700, Nicole Harrington wrote:

>On 10-Apr-01 Ben Smithurst wrote:
> > Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> >

> >> It certainly is starting to irritate people running
> >> 4.2-Release.
> >
> > Well if you want the latest security fixes you shouldn't be running a
> > -release anyway, that's that the -stable branch is for.
> >

>  Thats the most stupid thing I have every heard. I never knew that simply by
>running -STABLE I would not have any security problems and would not need
>patches or updates.

It certainly doesn't address *when* you should update, but in many cases
the fix was long before the advisory.  Both sides here have
merit.  However, relying on blind updates would be foolish.

The advisory can also mean avoiding a complete build.

>  As someone who runs many production level servers here is what I would want
>  In order:
>
>  1) A notice that there is problem - So I can tcpwrap or shutdown said
> service
>until a patch is available.
>
>  2) A binary patch.  Similiar to the Linux RPM.s  and the BSDi patches.
>   Just download and run. No compiles no installs.
>
>  3) A patch that everyone agrees works in an email or other notification that
>says, here's were you can get the patch, this works, here's what to do with
>it.

Assessment should be first.  Do you use it and in some cases is it
configured in such a way as to be vulnerable.  There are times when
checking the latter takes longer than applying the fix would have.

Would also fixing only systems that use a service has a downside should the
configuration change.  Documentation is helpful.

>  From my perspective it took days for people to stop discussing what patch
>was best for ntpd and I still never heard a full resolution on the mailing
>list. No official blessing of a patch other than what I would get via
>CVSUP.  I
>have production servers, I can't run a CVsup everyday, let alone a make
>world.
>

>  Yes I may have missed a few mails or something. But expecting people to
> spend
>their days tracking down patches and notices abt problems kinda negates the
>whole idea of a security mailing and notification.
>  The process seemed much better in the past, but lately, it has been much
> less
>than optimal.

The NTP was a bit messy, but don't think it's changed much.  Other than
more often and the port specific one.  In a few cases it did take a while
for the fix and/or advisory.  Hard to say with all the traffic.  All I *do*
know is that a higher number are likely to affect more systems.  Or its
just that the past year has exceeded the prior 5 for the number that
concerned me.

It might be the recent confusion with the typical advisory delay make
things seem worse than they are or it is a case load issue, which in most
cases this list covers it and most times becomes the official fix.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve