Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 13:17:59 +0100
From:      Jamie Heckford <heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel VE Desktop 10/100 NIC NOT SUPPORTED?

All of the recent BIOS's support this option - it may be hidden
as something like:

"Operating System Type:"

"WindowsME/2000"
"Windows95/98"
"Windows NT4.0/Other"

If you've got something like this, set it to WindowsNT/Other.

Check your documentation for more info.

Jamie

On 2001.04.30 09:43 Valentin Nechayev wrote:
>  Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 17:24:38, msmith (Mike Smith) wrote about "Re:
> Intel VE Desktop 10/100 NIC NOT SUPPORTED?":
>
> > > Disabling Plug and Play in the BIOS seemed to cure this one
> > > for me...
> > > If I am right(!), does anyone know exactly why this is? What
> > > does the error message mean exactly? Quick skim through the
> > > driver source for me I thinks...
> > It means that you have "PNP OS" turned on in your BIOS, and the version
>
> > of FreeBSD that you are running is not a "PNP OS".
>
> Does "options PNPBIOS" fix this? I have a SiS496+AMDK4/133 box where
> FreeBSD4 hangs up without this option during searching ISA PnP devices,
> and
> there are no "PNP OS Yes/No" switch in BIOS. "options PNPBIOS" enables
> system to load and work correctly but it was found occasionally,
> no man mentiones this option in such context. (FreeBSD3 did not require
> any special options to boot.)
>

> /netch

Jamie Heckford
Network Operations Manager
Psi-Domain - Innovative Linux Solutions. Ask Us How.

FreeBSD - The power to serve

subscribe collective

email:  heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk
web:    http://www.psi-domain.co.uk/