Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 01:42:38 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dd and gzip'd files

> > > I recently tried using dd to transfer a binary image to floppy.
> > > It was the Linux root disk image, color.gz.  Basically, dd works
> > > ok with non-gzipped files, but with files in gzip format, it
> > > chokes:
> > >
> > > root@lc186 floppies# dd if=color.gz of=/dev/rfd0
> > > dd: /dev/rfd0: Invalid argument
> > > 2453+1 records in
> > > 2453+0 records out
> > > 1255936 bytes transferred in 42.665771 secs (29437 bytes/sec)
> > >
> > > Notice the line that says:
> > >
> > > 2453+1 records in
> > > ^^^^^^
> > >
> > > For some reason, it is offsetting to 1 before writing to disk.

No, that's not what it means.  You are ignoring the error message on
the preceeding line.  "2453+1" means that it has read 2453 complete
records and one extra byte.  The 'fd' driver has (correctly) refused to
write the single trailing byte.

> It appears to have worked.  I guess the output block size of 16k
> is key for floppies, then.  The conv=osync does the padding.

No, the block size requirement for floppies is 512 bytes, as it is for
almost any device.  conv=osync is correct if you insist on using the
raw device.

Note that the optimal block size for 1.44MB floppies is 9k (one track).