Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:19:37 -0500
From:      Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparz@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Syed Khalid Shah <skhs1@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Error in my rc.conf and SYSTEM WONT BOOT.

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 01:06:02PM -0700, Syed Khalid Shah wrote:

> Hi apparently , I made a mistake in my rc.conf forgot to close paranthesis.
>
> Now system does not boot all they way insteads tell me to enter the shell
> path or enter for default shell ,
>
> Please let me know if there is anyway I can correct my rc.conf.

Get to that shell when the system asks you, rename /etc/rc.conf to
something else and exit the shell.  The system will start using the settings
from /etc/defaults/rc.conf and those are basically sane (unless you have
played with them too ;)
After the system starts, you can just fix your /etc/rc.conf and reboot
to have the new configuration take effect.

Krzysztof