Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:37:52 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "1.The NetSys Company" <admin@netsys.hn>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Pablo Quintana <quintana@netsys.hn>
Subject:   Re: This is a terrific system ... thks.

"1.The NetSys Company" writes:

> Dear FBSD - techs.....
>
> I have a very serious problem freaking me out and have tried all I know to
> correct.... if anyone can help me with this "dump and restore" problem I
> would greatly appreciate it.
>
> For the past 18 months I have been making weekly backups for my three
> network machines using the following command:
>
> /sbin/dump 0uaf /dev/nrst0 /   (pc with tape drive)
> /sbin/dump 0uaf 206.48.255.45:/dev/nrst0 /  and so on ...

Did you ever rewind your tapes? You are using the no-rewind device and
I'm not sure what/if tape drivers ensure the tape is rewound when its
first loaded.

You are specifying the root filesystem only. Is this all you have
(meaning /usr, /home, /var, ... are all on a single filesystem)? Or are
you also dumping your other filesystems to /dev/nrst0?