Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:30:05 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rapha=EBl_Marmier?= <raphael@computer-rental.ch>
To:        Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question re. hard read errors

Try using dd to grab all possible bits of that file:
/bin/sh
dd if=3D/path/tothe/file of=3D/path/to/newfile conv=3Dsync,noerror =
>ddlog.txt=20
2>&1

you get the log of all errors and faulty blocks in ddlog.txt

This will make a copy of the file with unreadable blocks converted to=20
blank. Then you should fix the compresssed archive with the proper=20
utility (although I don't know exactly how), then you should be able to=20=

untar it. Maybe the information on which files where lost will even be=20=

available.

If it turns out you didn't loose that much, it will spare you the=20
effort to read the disk harder. In case you really lost damn imporant=20
stuff, you can send the disk to a data recovery company, but it costs=20
$$$$$$...

Hope this helps

Raphael

Le Vendredi, 8 ao=FB 2003, =E0 01:33 Europe/Zurich, Richard Johnson a =
=E9crit=20
: