Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 23:24:07 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crypt

This is a rather odd question, and I don't know where else to post
this.  I'm trying to find the sources for MD5 and DES in FreeBSD, but
can't seem to locate them.  I'm a very very beginner programmer, so that
might be part of the problem.  If anyone can either point me to the code
or (and this would make me very happy) tell me the mathematical formulas
on which one of these (or a more basic version of these) schemes works.
On a related note the following statement confuses me, what does
"Because neither
of these functions involve encryption, they are believed to be
exportable from the US and importable into many other countries." Mean??
How do they (the sentence refers to Williams insecure function and MD5)
not encrypt?? If they don't encrypt what do they do, and how does that
differ from DES??  Sorry if this isn't the best place for this question,
but it would seem that it relates at least somewhat to FBSD.  The final
question is which is really more secure, (Read: which should I use), MD5
or DES?  Is there any way to get some really really big key-size that
might be more secure than both of those?  If you've even read this whole
message I'm already happy.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate

Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions
and
        a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating
system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit
        company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101