Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:38:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        marcd@internode.on.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing to a new drive from existing sources

> Hi
>
> I currently have 4.2Beta on my system (currently building 4.2-RELEASE).
>
> Anyway I want to install FreeBSD onto another hard disk that will go into
> a second system.
>
> Is there anyway that I can do the install using the src that I have compiled?
> without having to go through and do an install of an older version first? (I
> though I had seen a mention of make release somewhere but can't see
> it mentioned in the makefile options).

`make release` is implemented in src/release/Makefile, but it doesn't
provide step-by-step instructions (at least it didn't last time I
looked at it).  Maybe somebody else will be nice enough to guide you
through it, but that's where it is in case you want to try to figure
it out yourself.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

If two wrongs don't make a right, try three!