Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:48:32 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ryan Masse" <rmasse@mastery.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs

Ryan Masse <rmasse@mastery.ca> types:
> is it possible to run nfs over an internet presence securely? would
> firewalling out everybody but the destination source be effective enough in
> securing the connection? i'm brainstorming ways of sending the output of an
> ifconfig statement from my home gateway to that of my webserver and being
> able to view the contents via a web browser. reason being is that for the
> life of me i can't get ddns to work and its a pain to discover my ip when i
> need information on my home lan.
>
> any other suggestions to helping my problem would be appreciated

How about just setting up a CGI script on your webserer that saved the
address of your lan? Something like:

#!/bin/sh
echo "My home lan's IP is $REMOTE_ADDR" > $HOME/LAN_IP

Then have your home machine fetch that URL on boot up, or every hour
or whatever if your IP address can change without rebooting your
machine.

	<mike