Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:11:59 -0800
From:      UCTC Sysadmin <ecsd@transbay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Missing "nsl" library trying to compile Perl Oracle DBI interface code

We're running Linux compat, 4.4. The Oracle interface module will not "make"
properly because the linker can't find "-lnsl" on behalf of the linux-intended
binaries. I recall the library in question is under /usr/compat/linux but no
matter what I do to the makefiles the linker refuses to find the library.
I'm guessing the binaries (fail to) say where to find the library - they don't
indicate a path, or indicate a path that doesn't exist, but that aspect of loading
is silent. It could be real easy to fix by introducing a bogus directory to point
to /usr/cpmpat/linux/lib but I don't know what name is expected.

Has anyone else run into this?
I notice that the port for this was announced, but it isn't available online yet.

Yeah, I know - what's the name of the thing I'm talking about? I forget. if you
don't already know, then you're probably not in a good position to help anyway,
so never mind.

Thanks in advance -

-ecsd@transbay.net