Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:30:09 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Falcon" <jeremy@intersurf.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problem starting ftpd

I just installed a clean installation of FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE (downloaded
iso last weekend).  During the installation I chose the default security
setting (medium).  Without making any changes inetd hangs when trying to
start ftpd, AFAIK.  So, I Control+C my way out and continue booting.  When I
log in and get a prompt I try...

# /usr/libexec/ftpd -l

...and I get an error message like...

Oct 25 00:27:40 gateway ftpd[338]: getpeername (/usr/libexec/ftpd): Socket
opera
tion on non-socket

Can someone tell me what the heck is going on?

BTW, my host name is "gateway".  I found a question similar to this in the
archives, but I found no answer to it, so I was hoping some guru out there
could me out.

Thanks.