Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:35:33 -0500
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Dmitry Pisklov" <Pisklov@starsoftlabs.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: USR 56k Internal WinModem

Internal modems are manufactured for two target markets, MS/Windows
and
every thing else. Winmodems are cheep because the hardware
controller
function is handled by the software you have to install into
windows.
This hardware controller function is contained in a chip on the
modem
circuit board. Winmodems are missing this chip and have a
replacement
chip that directs the modem to use driver software running in the
windows system to perform the controller function. The most common
replacement chip is manufactured by Lucent. There are many versions
of
this Lucent chip each version needing a different software driver
version.

Up until version 4.4, FBSD did not have any solution to using
Winmodems, but with the release of 4.4 the ports collection contains
the  "Linux Winmodem 'ltmdm' driver" which was ported to FBSD.
This port is very poorly documented, only works with a limited
number of Lucent chip version, and is unreliable.  Your whole
internet
connection is managed by your modem and trying to shoe horn a modem
specially manufactured for the MS/Windows operating system into FBSD
is not the way to achieve a satisfactory dialup connection.