Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:19:42 -0500
From:      Jim Early <jim_early@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   'make buildworld' failure on 3-STABLE

Greetings,
    I would like to ask for some advice about a 'make world' failure.
Last night, I successfully cvsup'ed RELENG_3 from cvsup3.freebsd.org. I
then attempted 'make world', but it failed with the following message:

>>> Rebuilding bootstrap libraries
/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtbegin.c:30: section attributes are not
supported for this target
/usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crtbegin.c:31: section attributes are not
supported for this target
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}: 73: Error: Unknown pseudo-op: `.section'

    I next re-cvsup'ed about 6 hours later and I got about 5 file
deltas. I reattempted the 'make buildworld', but it failed at the same
point.

    I am attempting to upgrade from 2.2.5 to 3. Searches for this
particular error have come up empty. Any suggestions on how to proceed
would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim
jim_early@yahoo.com