Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 17:11:26 +0200
From:      Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unified diff format in output of /etc/security?

Until I read Sheldon's motivation I never considered using any other
diff format than unified (for anything), just because I had gotten so
used to it. But after thinking about it for a while I realized that
the default format isn't that bad for setuid/setgid logs..

I used my own patches for a few days of course but they didn't get
used that much, so I didn't realize it wasn't that much of an
improvment.

So I can personally live with the default format for now. Funny how
things turn out in the end :).

Regards,

Markus.

On Fri Aug 11, 2000 at 10:27:02AM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:37:51 +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
>
> > Then what about a "diff -u $FILES | grep -v '^ '"?  Or "diff -u
> > $FILES | grep '^[+-@]'"?  (I guess the first fits better)
>
> A lot of work for what gain exactly?  You want plusses and minuses
> instead of angle-brackets?  Surely there are more important things we
> could be spending our energy on? :-)
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

Markus Holmberg         |       Give me Unix or give me a typewriter.
markush@acc.umu.se      |       http://www.freebsd.org/