Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 1997 12:12:20 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advice sought - Quantum 2GB Atlas broken

As Thomas Gellekum wrote:

> > Now I just have to find
> > a way to detect when the CPU fan dies...
>
> We use a current detector in the power supply wires for the fan. If
> the current increases the fan is stuck -> annoying beep and possibly
> toggle turbo switch.

Btw., we've got a fairly old IBM 5.25 inch SCSI device case around (i
think it used to house a tape drive, or a CD-ROM drive).  The fan of
its power supply is very small and very noisy...  I recently wanted to
use that case, but figured that the ventilation wasn't adequate for
me.  I tried to pull the plug of the fan -- the power suplly stopped.
Ok.  They're watching the current flow, no problem!  Clamp the fan
using a match.  The power supply stopped.  Hrmpf.  I think they're
using a small NTC resistor to watch the airflow...

--
cheers, J"org