Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 22:58:33 -0800
From:      "3phase" <phase3@worldnet.att.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kernel configuration question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cliff Sarginson" <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To: "Tim McMillen" <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc: "Wyatt Banks" <banksw@sunyit.edu>; <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 09:19 PM

> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 12:02:34AM -0500, Tim McMillen wrote:
> >
> > They are just that, warnings.  Messages to tell the coders to try to
> > clean things up, not errors really.  As I heard it, gcc has been
> > raising the amount that it warns about things.  As of the 3.0-Release
> > series, the FreeBSD kernel compile is much louder about them.
> >
> > On Tuesday February 06, 2001 14:00, Wyatt Banks wrote:
> > > Usually when I use a compiler, I treat all warnings like errors,
>
> Mmm, warnings are not errors, although they may point to
> mis-intentions !
> Crank up the warnings enough and gcc will complain about the
> following comment:
>
> /* This is a comment
> /* that will make gcc bletch, if
> /* you set the right warnings on
> */
>
> Cliff
>
> p.s. I will leave it to the reader to work out what the
> complaint is.. :)

So, did you catch anything? (:

Redirect the output to a text file.
You'll still see the warnings when they occur but you can
browse the text files later to see what really happened.

make depend > mydepend.txt
make > mymake.txt

It may look scary at first because nothing will be blinking,
beeping or prompting but the drives will be churning away.

3p