Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:45:49 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.2 upgrade problems

Trying to upgrade a 4.1-RELEASE system to 4.2-RELEASE. (Skip down to
paragraph 10 to cut to the chase if you like)

Downloaded the iso image, burned the CD, mounted it on the machine
and determined everything was readable.

Diskspace is at a bit of a premium on this machine so I don't have
sources installed on it by default. I decided to use /stand
/sysinstall to do a binary upgrade. (once again the installation
program drives me nuts)

In the UPGRADE.TXT it suggests to always use the version of
sysinstall that comes with the new release.. but I can't find a file
with that name anywhere!  Nowhere on the CD, and nowhere on any of
the floppies. (I created kern.flop, mfsroot.flp and fixit.flp from
the CD just to check. Is it part of the kernel or something?)

So I used the existing sysinstall.  Asked me the usual questions (I
really wish there was better descriptions in the install utility
about what the distributions actually *contain*, ie what are "local
additions"? Also there is no indication in the utility about whether
it is imperative that you select everything you had previously
installed)

I selected to install from CD, it appeared to backup the existing
configuration OK, but when it went to start copying files it said
something like "this disk doesn't look like a FreeBSD disk, or
perhaps it was an older one without a version number.  Did I want to
use the disk anyway?" (the disk was already mounted and I was able to
access the data on it fine from another console window)  I figured
this had something to do with my "home-grown" CD, ie a label issue,
so I told it to go ahead.

Then it said it couldn't find or access the distributions etc.,
brought up dialog boxes which asked me if I wanted to retry (for each
distribution) which didn't work, so I ended up cancelling these error
boxes. All the while I could go to another console window, login and
access the CD fine.

Then it cheerfully told me that it was all installed, it copied the
previous configuration files back to /etc, and to reboot when I
wanted to run it.  But nothing had been copied to the HD.  In the
root directory I had kernel.prev and kernel.GENERIC but no kernel.
I tried installing some distributions by using the shell scripts in
the directories, that went OK.  But I realized none of the
configuration files had been updated, etc.

To make a long story short I figured out to copy /kernel.GENERIC to
/kernel, and installed the other files manually.  I had to manually
compare the new files copied to /etc by the bin distribution to my
old files and made various changes. After a lot of time and to my
great surprise, it actually booted.  But I have the following
remaining problems:

- None of the files in /stand were updated.  Even weirder, when I go
into that directory all the filenames are 1729520 bytes.  If I run
sysinstall and tell it to display release notes for this version, it
shows the ones for 4.1.

- I had copied the passwd, master.passwd files back to /etc but it
didn't seem to recognize them.  Then tried copying pwd.db and spwd.db
too.  Root had no password.  I fixed that with passwd, but I had to
use chpass to remove the password on a regular user and then let them
re-enter a password in order for them to login.

- I have no idea what other settings might be scattered outside of
/etc that I need to ensure are updated, or whether I need to re-
install other packages because of the upgrade.

Advice appreciated..

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium