Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 17:58:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul Traina <pst@jnx.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/1400: getnetbyname() for DNS network resolution is violently broken

>Number:         1400
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       libc/net/getnetbydns.c needs an enema
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

FreeBSD 2.2 current and previous versions

_getnetbydnsname() in the standard library doesn't even begin to do the
right thing.  It needs to be rewritten from scratch, so that it behaves
more like _gethostbydnsname().

>How-To-Repeat:

Try to use -net <my-net> -mask <my-mask> conventions in /etc/exports if
dns is before bind in /etc/host.conf.

In fact, /etc/host.conf should really be split into multiple files or
we should follow the sun hack of:

	host:	hosts, dns, yp
	net:	hosts, yp

in their file.