Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:52:27 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Grandpa Walrus <root@web-walrus.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regarding CD-R drives

Grandpa Walrus writes:
> I'm going to be investing in a CD-R for backup purposes on my server.  I
> currently run a Western Digital IDE hard drive, and I was considering
> getting an IDE CD-R to run on the second controller.  Is this
> preferable/advisable, or should I spend the extra on a SCSI card and
> CD-R drive?

You didn't buy SCSI for the HD. Seems out of place that you would
consider it for the backup system.

IMHO CD-R's are great fun to have. Perfect for the latest -RELEASE or
custom FreeBSD. But 600MB to 700MB of storage is limited. And the most
reliable way I know to write a CD-R (under any OS) is to make an image
file on the HD first, then copy that off the the CD-R (using burncd or
cdrecord).

If you are open to SCSI then there have been a number of source selling
Symbios 875-based Ultra Wide SCSI cards for the $60 price range. Others
have had new DDS-2 tape drives for under $100. A DDS-2 tape will hold
an honest 4G for $6 to $10. And far easier to do backups with than a
CD-R.

Support of IDE tape drives has been spotty in FreeBSD. Someone else
will have to comment on that.

> Any brands that are more compatible/better than others?

Two or three years ago I launched into just that very question at work.
In the early days Yamaha CDR-100's were outrageous for being the first
to 4X write. Even more outrageous because they really did work. Other
drives were not so good even at 2X.

Had noticed at the time gang CD burning stations which had previously
used Yamaha CDR-100's did not use the new Yamahas. Spent a lot of time
on the phone asking, "I like my old Yamahas, why can't I get new
Yamahas?" No good answers until I got to an engineer at one of the
standalone gang CD writer companies who said, "The old Yamaha behaved
very well on the SCSI bus but newer CD-R's from most everybody will hog
the bus longer than they should resulting in coasters. Matsushita
(Panasonic) 7502's behave as well as the old Yamahas." Keep in mind we
are talking about 2 to 6 CD-R's and one HD on one bus making up to 6
copies at a time.

So I turned in my report to the boss. Then ran out and bought a 7502 for
myself. Still happy with it altho I've been using it less than I ever
thought I would. Just not enough time to play with all my toys.

Recently noticed http://www.computer123.com/ has (had) the SCSI version
of that drive for $106. Looks like they are out. But they have an CD-RW
IDE version with Windows/Mac software for $126 or $136 (depends mostly
on packaging).

The Latest CD-R Thing these days is RAW writing. The ability to
duplicate errors from the original in the copy. For duplicating copy
protected CD's. Don't know if the 7502 will, or is capable of with
firmware update.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net