Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:52:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic File Send (FTP)

> > I am trying to dispatch a file automatically to another server at a given
> > time.  The Cron scheduling is obvious, but what is not obvious is a
> > practical way of invoking an FTP agent to do the transfer.  What I am
> > thinking of is the reverse of NCFTP's colon mode of file fetching (ie.
> > ncftp site.name:file.name).  The script will also have to send a user name
> > and pwd.  Accomplishing this is not at all obvious.  Does anyone have
> > suggestions?
>
> I've never used Expect, but I hear it's good for this sort of thing.
> Perl is also an option.

I once had a need to do this as well, and NcFTP2 worked great. All you
gotta do is have it log in manually, and have a macro file to tell it what
to do when its logged in. Then you just call it from CRON when you need it
to transfer.

This would be a much simplier and easier way of doing it than writing a
perl or expect script. :)