Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:04:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dave Swegen <dswegen@allstor-sw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum problems/questions

On Thursday, 20 July 2000 at 11:24:15 +0100, Dave Swegen wrote:
> I'm currently trying to use vinum to set up a thin client which will
> function as a mirroring fileserver. The idea is that the customer will
> enable the mirror using a web-interface. But, of course, I'm having
> problems. The main one is that for some reason vinum says that one of the
> two plexes is faulty. This seems to be regardless of what HDs I use.
>
> Currently the two HDs are identical (23Gb IDE drives), but I have tried
> using different disks, different sizes.
>
> Using 'vinum create <configfile>' works, but as mentioned complains
> that one of the plexes is faulty.

Please look at http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html for
information you need to supply for problems like this.

> It is far worse using the 'vinum mirror /dev/ad2a /dev/ad3a', which
> causes a kernel panic and a reboot. Not fun.

Please look at http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html for
information you need to supply for problems like this.  If you have a
panic, I want to know about it.

> /var/log/messages shows the following lines:
>
> Jul 20 10:16:01 trabant /kernel: dscheck(#ad/16): b_bcount 8 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 512)
> Jul 20 10:16:01 trabant /kernel: dscheck(#ad/24): b_bcount 8 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 512)

Please don't wrap log output.  This output alone doesn't help; it's
only part of the information.

> The config file I'm using looks as follows:
>
> drive drive_a device /dev/ad2a
> drive drive_b device /dev/ad3a
> volume mirror
>   plex org concat
>     sd length 0 drive drive_a
>   plex org concat
>     sd length 0 drive drive_b
>
> Changing the length makes no difference.

To what?

> I'd much appreciate any enlightenment on the issue.

Take a look at http://www.lemis.com/vinum/bugs.html (or just the man
page) for your first problem.  It sounds like this one:

     2.  When you create a volume with multiple plexes, vinum does not
         automatically initialize the plexes.  This means that the
         contents are not known, but they are certainly not
         consistent.  As a result, by default vinum sets the state of
         all newly-created plexes except the first to stale. In order
         to synchronize them with the first plex, you must start their
         subdisks, which causes vinum to copy the data from a plex
         which is in the up state.  Depending on the size of the
         subdisks involved, this can take a long time.

         In practice, people aren't too interested in what was in the
         plex when it was created, and other volume managers cheat by
         setting them up anyway.  vinum provides two ways to ensure
         that newly created plexes are up:

         o Create the plexes and then synchronize them with vinum
           start.

         o Create the volume (not the plex) with the keyword
           setupstate, which tells vinum to ignore any possible
           inconsistency and set the plexes to be up.

Greg