Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:43:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Jeff Baker <Jeff.Baker@ACADHOTLINE.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adopt a newbie program - Thanks

Many thanks to all for offers of assistance.
I'll hang in there (I am making progress slowly).
I just wanted to make some comments re ML's post that this unix setup
is not easy for a new user, and asking questions is not easy when you have
no idea what to ask!.
Easy to follow docs are required and would be worth writing buy someone with
experience. (Have a look at some of the tech docs done by PC software
vendors, for examples of "how to's" ) Almost everything I've found so far
(some exceptions) are full of 'jibberish' which is OK to a point, but just
because it's there doesn't mean it can be understood. I want / need a server
today, not in 2 years time.

Particularily a step by step approach for setting up a www server or an
intranet server would be great.

I'm still not sure why I need to adopt a philosphy to use a
technology....but then there's lots I don't understand in the world.

Again, thanks for those that emailed with info / help.

Can't help thinking about the old days when I did tech support, when a
frustrated caller got up out of his chair and walked across the room, as I
started to talk him thru running a:setup from his 5-1/4" floppy drive.....

I laughed about it, guess I just didn't understand his basic level of
understanding.

Regards
Jeff
Newbie (for a while)