Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 00:18:04 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS 'read only' speed tricks?

I'm currently messing with a disless configuration of
FreeBSD and it's coming along quite nice.
I'm mounting a read-only NFS '/usr'.  I though that I
could take a heap of load of the poor server machine
by creating a copy of '/usr' in RAM as an MFS and then
sharing this out instead of the actual '/usr' volume.
Obviously if I share the mount point via
'/etc/exports' while there is nothing underneath it it
won't complain - I just won't see anything when I
mount that export remotely.
I am a relative UNIX newbie but I reckon the tool I
need is 'cpio'.  Can someone give me some pointers
here?  I'm more than likely to read the man page for
'cpio' in the morning but it'd be nice to hear any
confimations/suggestions.

Thanks,
Paul

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase