Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:31:36 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Adam J Richardson <fatman@crackmonkey.us>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade and make options

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 02:04:16PM +0100, Adam J Richardson wrote:
> Michael S wrote:
>> Thanks a lot.
>> By the way, will it attempt to use -j4 for make
>> install?
>=20
> Should do, yes. Robert Huff is correct when he says this will affect=20
> everything using make. I can't think why that would be inappropriate, but=
=20
> no doubt Robert has some scenarios in mind.
>=20
> I'm too unsophisticated for the 'scalpel' approach. I still wield 'Club o=
f=20
> Noobiness +3'. :P

Fortunately, there is a way to turn the axe into a scalpel. :-)

You can put stuff in make.conf so that it will only affect the ports
you want. Like this;

=2Eif ${.CURDIR:M*/multimedia/mplayer}
WITH_DVD_DEVICE=3D/dev/cd1
WITH_CDROM_DEVICE=3D/dev/cd1
=2Eendif

If the directory where make is invoked from ends in /multimedia/mplayer,
the variables inside the if-block will be set.

This works well because every update utility in the end invokes make to
build the port.

Roland
--=20

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb