Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:22:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>, Steve Marmer <ids@interlog.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Panic mounting root

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:
>
> > Steve Marmer wrote:
> > >
> > > I get a panic on boot, after all the hardware stuff, about the inability
> > > to mount root.
> > >
> > > Hardware: 4G Quantum Atlas FastWide Scsi-2
> > >           AHA1542CF FAST SCSI-2
> > >           (using a 6?-50 pin adapter)
> > >
> > > I have enabled the AHA1542 option "Translate Drives >1G".  Since newfs
> > > worked I assume the problems with this have been fixed.  My disk starts
> > > with a 950Meg DOS partition (slice).  The next "slice" is 1G FreeBSD.
> > > I've been pretty careful ensuring the root part'n is fully below the
> > > magic 1G boundary.  Have I not been careful enough?  Could something else
> > > be the problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any and all help...
> >
> > Not to start a war! I know some dissagree!
> >
> > But bootable partitions *must* be under cylinder 1024. (504M)
> > This is a limitation of the PC System BIOS boot code!
>
> I think this refers only to IDE/EIDE drives.  I have a 2.1G Conner
> fast scsi 2 installed as a second hard drive on an Adaptec 1542CF,
> and FreeBSD is running in the *last* 660 mb. on that drive (booting
> from the OS/2 boot manager).

Actually, it applies to both, but scsi drives all support more flexible
remapping of sectors to make them all fit under 1024 cylinders, so they
don't feel the pinch.  BTW, the whole partition DOES NOT have to be under
1024 cylinders, just the boot sector of that partition.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |